Pictures/Video

Friday, November 8, 2013

Friday November 8


Howdy,

Before I give you a LONG boring update;-) I will share the most VITAL and important information.
Below is my BNLRM "Bare-Necessities-of-Life Rations Management." So far I have consumed:
Over 4.2lbs of peanut butter
.6 lbs of honey
18 boiled eggs
Over 1 lb of protein powder
Approx 12lbs of granola/granola bars (running low…. only 10lbs left)

In other words, LIFE HAS BEEN GOOD!

Both the last two days I have been in a matatu (bus) that has broken down. A true African experience! Also, went to a Masai Market (outdoor) where they had traditional African dance and music as well as lots of street shops. I would've taken pictures and video but I was tired of being "sold" to…. Being white and being dressed in medical scrubs sets you up for being a salesperson magnet=)
You gotta watch the latest video! I am now volunteering at Tigoni Hospital, which is much bigger and has many wards/departments. I have mostly been working in the paediatrics and maternity wards. A volunteer from Sweden is also at Tigoni. Her friends gave her a whole suitcase of clothes to give away. We have made a special connection with the 8 children in the burn unit. The mothers have to stay with the children and many are at the hospital for weeks. Watch the video and see the mothers showing off the new clothes we gave them=) I have never seen so many happy people in a hospital room. We like to make the kids and mothers happy there because the extreme pain the kids have to go through twice a day. That is when we have to clean the burn wounds and apply cream. They scream like they are insane and it is so hard to watch. I got a video of all the children during the infamous screaming time but I didn't include on blog…. this is a family show=) Today I also bought the kids a bunch of bubbles and a soccer ball (watch in video). It truly is "more blessed to give, than to receive." The mothers were all hugging us and crying. As we left the room they came running after us and insisted we take something in return… their lunch (7 tangerines and 2 bananas). We refused but they stuffed them in our backpacks=)
Sorry if last paragraph didn't make sense. Words can't describe the experience. One word: humbling.
One of the mothers came from Masai. In Masai they misuse the girls very young and force them to marry around age 10. She escaped on foot as a girl and is studying to be a journalist and is also actively rescuing other girls from Masai. Told us many stories.
I also went to the Wanjario's house today. They attend the Kikuyu church where I am speaking Sunday and picked me up from Tigoni Hospital at lunchtime. They showed me their house, informed me on taking a safari, had lunch, and then I and Brother Wanjario went to Michelangelo. Michelangelo is a large piece of property Brother Wanjario has turned into a recreational/restaurant business. It was AMAZING! He is business and architecture extrordinare! We talked a lot about business and industry in Kenya. I learnt SO much. The facility is incredible and is close to the hospital. We discussed his plans to make it into an overnight accommodation for business conventions. The Wanjario's treated me like their son and are very hospitable. I will be going to Michelangelo to have devotions, study, and just relax in the tranquility while enjoying the amazing views of the valley. 
I have lots of stories, but can't fit in blog=) 
Dr. George, from Wema Hospital, found out that I speak at churches. He calls me Dr. Preacher now=) He thinks that is awesome, since he is choir director at his church=) All volunteers think I am kinda nuts going to church or fellowshipping almost every evening=) Not to mention, 5 of them are atheists=) Very interesting conversations… we get along though, so I don't hold anything back=) Our housekeeper, Ann, went to clinic today for her medication. Dr. George told her I was a "preacher." She respects me a whole lot more now=)…. Previously, she was sort of a pain and didn't like me getting home late, eating lots of food, exercising early=)
I see where is coming from though….. I am BIG pain for such a SMALL guy!
Planning on speaking Sunday on "The Last Enemy Conquered: Death"
Starting to miss y'all but am feeling at home and am positive I have a little Kenyan blood in me=)