Pictures/Video

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wednesday October 30th

I posted new video that shows part of my commute to the clinic. Today was first time going to town by myself. Tomorrow evening is mid-week service at Brother John's and then Sunday I am planning to go to Brother Kamwatti's. I was gonna go into downtown Nairobi this evening for Brother Kamwatti's mid-week service but Brother Tonnie advised against it because I am still not familiar with the area, traffic is bad during weekdays, and would be coming home in the dark... I will probably go there next Wednesday though. According to Brother Job, there is about 2000 believers in Brother Kamwatti's church and about 800 young people.

Observing/learning how to do ultra sound. Today one of the girl volunteers brought an orphan from the orphanage they are working at. It was very sad. His whole face needed reconstructing and his wrist was messed up. Yet, he was happy and smiled more than most "healthy" people. 
 Another boy came in today with his parents. He had got injured playing soccer at school and we thought it was a broken bone so we took X-rays. There was no fracture but yet he had lost control of his leg. We figured he injured his main leg nerve and thus has no sensation or motor control. We will be massaging and testing his leg the next couple days. Fortunately, he still has very good circulation, otherwise, he would have a "dead" leg.

This is Dr. George. Hilarious, care-free and very good at "lecturing" about medicine. I know I am gonna learn a lot of medical terms and drug names wrong because of his accent=) but that's fine.