Pictures/Video

Monday, October 28, 2013

Monday, October 28th

Hey everyone!
I just got my SIM card for phone/internet so that's why this is first post. All pics, video, and writing this blog is on my cell so please forgive any typos:)
I made a video that sums up most of what I about to talk about. Just click "Videos" tab.
So I got in late Saturday. Slept 30mins over the course of 32 hours:) I am almost over jet lag and haven't really been tired. There are about 10 volunteers at the compound I am boarding at. My room partner is Nadir, a recent MD graduate that is studying neurology. Other volunteers are from England, Germany, Swiss, Canada, and US.
Sunday morning Brother Tonnie, a dentist, picked me up from the volunteer compound I am staying at. We went to Brother John Wakhanu's church service. There is 250-300 believers in the church. I spoke a little for the older Sunday school class, sang songs with the children, and then sat in on another Sunday school class.
Brother John spoke a wonderful sermon and one of the young men was baptized.
After service I met so many people and you gotta love the way they give hugs and touch each side of face:)
Went out to eat with Brother Job and Brother Tonnie's family. They took me to the BEST meat restaurant and I are everything from beef to crocodile. Brother Job is 29 and just got engaged. He is a business man and we really got along well. Job and I spent rest of Sunday together and went to a giraffe center where we fed giraffes and saw wart hogs. Job fed the giraffe from his mouth! Sick!:)
Saturday I plan to go with Job to his relatives engagement party where they have special ceremonies for the dowry.
Lord willing, I will be speaking at Brother John's on Sunday November 3 and 10. I will be going to Brother Wamwatti's church soon.
Today, Monday, was a long day. Learned how to use the bus system... Really they are vans that get 15-20 people crammed inside:) with blaring music!
Visited the orphanage that several of the volunteers go to and then went to the medical clinic for rest of day. Today I usually took vitals for patients. There was also a man that had got in a motorcycle accident and we cleaned all his wounds on his arms and head. The clinic has a few doctors and nurses that are here permanently and the rest are volunteers. They insist on calling me Doctor Mike... Which I sorta like:)
I have lots of stories but will save them for later:)
Internet isn't the best at the place I am staying but I should be able to get the video and some pics up soon.